Okay confirmed-
I am getting a more predictable results set after adding an additional field:
  <fieldType name="string_alpha" class="solr.TextField"
sortMissingLast="true" omitNorms="true">
     <analyzer>
          <filter class="solr.PatternReplaceFilterFactory"
pattern="\p{Punct}" replacement=""/>
     </analyzer>
  </fieldType>

q=slug:what_is_lo*&fl=slug&rows=1000&wt=csv&sort=slug_alpha%20asc

So it appears I can skip edge ngram entirely using this method as
slug:foo* appears to be the exact same results as fayt:foo, but I have
the cost of the alphaOnly field :)

I will try to figure out some benchmarks or something to decide how to go.

Thanks again for the help so far.