Note that my example is simplified. Both the parent and child docs need to have
globally unique ‘id’ fields, and any field names used both in parent and child
needs to have same fieldType in schema.
There was some plans to automatically generate IDs for child documents if they
do not exist, but I think that is not yet done. Perhaps you can add the UUID
processor for this purpose?

 <processor class="solr.UUIDUpdateProcessorFactory">
   <str name="fieldName">id</str>
 </processor>
Jan