>>> Did you install Solr with the installer script

I was not aware that there is an install script. I will look for it, but if
you can point me to it, that will help

>>> or just
>>> start it up after extracting the archive?

I extracted the files from a tar ball and did a bit of setting up. For
example, I created a core and modified my schema.xml file a bit.

>> Does the solr/server/logs
>> directory you mentioned contain files with timestamps that are current?

The log files were current.

>>> If you go to the "Logging" tab when the admin UI shows that error

I cannot go to the "Logging" tab. When the admin UI comes up, it shows the
error message and hangs with the cursor spinning.

Thanks for the input. Again, if you can provide the install script, that
will likely help. I'm going to go back and start with installing Solr again.

Jim