The large majority of the relevant fields have fewer than 20 unique values. We
have two fields over that with 150 unique values and 5300 unique values
retrospectively.
At the moment, our filterCache is configured with a maximum size of 8192.

From the DocValues documentation
(https://lucene.apache.org/solr/guide/8_3/docvalues.html), it mentions that
this approach promises to make lookups for faceting, sorting and grouping much
faster.
Hence I thought that using DocValues would be better than using Indexed and in
turn improve our response times and possibly lower memory requirements. It
sounds like this isn't the case if you are able to allocate enough memory to
the filterCache.

I haven't yet tried changing the uninvertible setting, I was looking at the
documentation for this field earlier today.
Should we be setting uninvertible="false" if docValues="true" regardless of
whether indexed is true or false?

Kind Regards,

James Bodkin