From: Noble Paul <noble.p...@gmail.com>
Sent: Thursday, June 18, 2020 1:51 AM
To: solr-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: [EXTERNAL] Re: Getting rid of Master/Slave nomenclature in Solr

Looking at the code I see a 692 occurrences of the word "slave".
Mostly variable names and ref guide docs.

The word "slave" is present in the responses as well. Any change in the request
param/response payload is backward incompatible.

I have no objection to changing the names in ref guide and other internal
variables. Going ahead with backward incompatible changes is painful. If
somebody has the appetite to take it up, it's OK

If we must change, master/follower can be a good enough option.

master (noun): A man in charge of an organization or group.
master(adj) : having or showing very great skill or proficiency.
master(verb): acquire complete knowledge or skill in (a subject, technique, or
art).
master (verb): gain control of; overcome.

I hope nobody has a problem with the term "master"

On Thu, Jun 18, 2020 at 3:19 PM Ilan Ginzburg <ilans...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Would master/follower work?
>
> Half the rename work while still getting rid of the slavery connotation...
>

> On Thu 18 Jun 2020 at 07:13, Walter Underwood <wun...@wunderwood.org> wrote:
>
> > > On Jun 17, 2020, at 4:00 PM, Shawn Heisey <apa...@elyograg.org> wrote:
> > >
> > > It has been interesting watching this discussion play out on
> > > multiple
> > open source mailing lists.  On other projects, I have seen a VERY
> > high level of resistance to these changes, which I find disturbing
> > and surprising.
> >
> > Yes, it is nice to see everyone just pitch in and do it on this list.
> >
> > wunder
> > Walter Underwood
> > wun...@wunderwood.org
> > https://nam04.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fobs
> > erver.wunderwood.org%2F&amp;data=02%7C01%7Cdemian.katz%40villanova.e
> > du%7C1eef0604700a442deb7e08d8134b97fb%7C765a8de5cf9444f09cafae5bf8cf
> > a366%7C0%7C0%7C637280562684672329&amp;sdata=0GyK5Tlq0PGsWxl%2FirJOVN
> > VaFCELlEChdxuLJ5RxdQs%3D&amp;reserved=0  (my blog)

Noble Paul