Thanks Michael,

I agree - JSON Facets is a better candidate for the functionality I'm
looking for.  In my case specifically though, I think I'm pegged to
traditional facets because I also want to use the "terms" local params
support that doesn't have a native equivalent in JSON Faceting (yet:
SOLR-14921).

If no one has other ideas here, maybe my best bet is to switch to
using JSON Faceting and adding an explicit "{!terms}" query as a
filter.  I see you suggested that as a workaround here [1].

Jason

[1]
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/lucene-dev/202010.mbox/%3CCAF%3DheHGKwGtvq%3DgAndmVrgvo1cxKmzP0neGi17_eoVhubpaBZA%40mail.gmail.com%3E