I've never heard of this need to provide a customized start.jar. Could you send us a pointer to where you read that if you still have that available?

But, no, there is no need to provide a different start.jar. However, Jetty is really just one example of how you deploy Solr - any modern servlet container should be fine. I'd just stick with Jetty and the built-in start.jar unless you have a compelling reason to switch.

        Erik