expungeDeletes is unnecessary, optimize is a superset of expungeDeletes.
The key difference is commit=true. I suspect if you’d waited until your
indexing process added another doc and committed, you’d have seen
the index size drop.

Just to check, you send the command to my_core but talk about collections.
Specifying the collection is sufficient, but I’ll assume that’s a typo and
you’re really saying my_collection.

I agree with Walter like I always do, you shouldn’t be running
optimize without some proof that it’s helping. About the only time
I think it’s reasonable is when you have a static index, unless you can
demonstrate improved performance. The optimize button was
removed precisely because it was so tempting. In much earlier
versions of Lucene, it made a demonstrable difference so was put
front and center. In more recent versions of Solr optimize doesn’t
help nearly as much so it was removed.

You say you have 38M deleted documents. How many documents total? If this is
50% of your index, that’s one thing. If it’s 5%, it’s certainly not worth
the effort. You’re rewriting 466G of index, if you’re not seeing demonstrable
performance improvements, that’s a lot of wasted effort…

See: https://lucidworks.com/post/solr-and-optimizing-your-index-take-ii/
and the linked article for what happens in pre 7.5 solr versions.

Best,
Erick