: You need to update EVERY solrconfig.xml that the JVM is loading for this to
: actually work.

that has not been true for a while, see SOLR-13336 / SOLR-10921 ...

: > 2. updated  solr.xml :
: > <int name="maxBooleanClauses">${solr.max.booleanClauses:2048}</int>
:
: I don't think it's currently possible to set the value with solr.xml.

Not only is it possible, it's neccessary -- the value in solr.xml acts as
a hard upper limit (and affects all queries, even internally expanded
queries) on the "soft limit" in solrconfig.xml (that only affects
explicitly supplied boolean queries from users)

As to the original question...

> 2021-01-05 14:03:59.603 WARN  (qtp1545077099-27) x:col1_shard1_replica_n3
> o.a.s.c.SolrConfig solrconfig.xml: <maxBooleanClauses> of 2048 is greater
> than global limit of 1024 and will have no effect

I attempted to reproduce this with 8.4.1 and did not see the probem you
are describing.

Are you 100% certain you are updating the correct solr.xml file?  If you
add some non-xml giberish to the solr.xml you are editing does the solr
node fail to start up?

Remember that when using SolrCloud, solr will try to load solr.xml from zk
first, and only look on local disk if it can't be found in ZK ... look for
log messages like "solr.xml found in ZooKeeper. Loading..." vs "Loading
solr.xml from SolrHome (not found in ZooKeeper)"

-Hoss
http://www.lucidworks.com/