On 2/14/2021 9:00 AM, Steven White wrote:
It looks like I'm misusing SolrJ API  SolrInputDocument.addField() thus I
need clarification.

Here is an example of what I have in my code:

     SolrInputDocument doc = new SolrInputDocument();
     doc.addField("MyFieldOne", "some data");
     doc.addField("MyFieldTwo", 100);

The above code is creating 2 fields for me (if they don't exist already)
and then indexing the data to those fields.  The data is "some data" and
the number 100  However, when the field is created, it is not using the
field type that I custom created in my schema.  My question is, how do I
tell addField() to use my custom field type?

There is no way in SolrJ code to control which fieldType is used. That is controlled solely by the server-side schema definition.

How do you know that Solr is not using the correct fieldType? If you are looking at the documents returned by a search and aren't seeing the transformations described in the schema, you're looking in the wrong place.

Solr search results always returns what was originally sent in for indexing. Only Update Processors (defined in solrconfig.xml, not the schema) can affect what gets returned in results, fieldType definitions NEVER affect data returned in search results.

Thanks,
Shawn