I'm pondering the viability of running Solr as effectively a UI server... what I mean by that is having a public facing browser-based application hitting a Solr backend directly for JSON, XML, etc data.

I know folks are doing this (I won't name names, in case this thread comes up with any vulnerabilities that would effect such existing environments).

Let's just assume a typical deployment environment... replicated Solr's behind a load balancer, maybe even a caching proxy.
What known vulnerabilities are there in Solr 1.3, for example?

What I think we can get out this is a Solr deployment configuration suitable for direct browser access, but we're not safely there yet are we? Is this an absurd goal? Must we always have a moving piece between browser and data/search servers?

Thanks,
        Erik