: There were a few comments about schema files in Mark Mail between you
: and Grant a couple of months ago, no big demand for them for the
: schema.xml file. Before I drop this would you consider taking a look at
: XSD file below for the schema.xml and perhaps submit the XSD file the
: SVN system? I can send it to you in a zip file, so it is formatted
: nicer.

contributions have to be made as Jira attachments so that there is an
audit trail of exactly where it came from and that the contributor "Grant
license to ASF for inclusion in ASF works"  I would definitely open an
issue for this and attach it since it could be useful for a lot of people
as a way of documenting most of what's possible...

        ...but...

Your tests showcase why trying to make a DTD or XSD for the
schema isn't something anyone has tackled before...

: There were a couple of files that contained attributes that the
: documentation was not complete for.

...the crux of the issue is that any FieldType, or analysis factory can
define whatever custom attributes it wants.  if we had been smart about
this when Solr was first being built, we would have used XML namespaces so
that we could have one XSD for the "core" Solr namespace, and people
writing custom plugins could have used their own namespace (and their
own XSD) for their plugin and whatever custom attributes it expects.

Since we didn't do that, i don't think it's actually possible to create an
XSD that correctly identifies all valid schema.xml as valid (unless
there's a way in XSD to indicate that any attribute is legal for certain
elements)

This is just one of those things where until we completley overhaul the
way SOlr is configured, I don't think we can have robust validation of the
configs.

-Hoss