it depends!

yes there is overhead to each core -- how much it matters will depend entirely on your setup and typical usage pattern.

sorry this is not a particularly useful answer.

I think the choice of how many cores will come down to your domain logic needs more then hardware. If you are able to put things into a single index and get the performance you need, it will just be easier to deal with.

ryan