My first attempt to do this resulted in my Java program throwing a
CorruptIndex exception. It appears as though Solr has somehow modified my
index files in some way which causes the Lucene code to see them as corrupt
(even though I did not, at least intentionally, try to post any documents or
otherwise update the index through Lucene).

Did you manage to retrieve any data from your existing datasource through
Solr using the existing index?

If so, how? Is is just a matter of changing your data directory to your
existing index data in the solrconfig.xml, for example:
  <dataDir>/my/existing/lucene/index/data</dataDir> ?