1) [NOW-45 TO NOW] works for me now.
2) [NOW TO NOW+45DAYS] is still throwing following exception :

----------------------------------
message org.apache.lucene.queryParser.ParseException: Cannot parse
'dateToTest_product_s:[NOW TO NOW 45DAYS]': Encountered "45DAYS" at line 1,
column 33. Was expecting: "]" ...

description The request sent by the client was syntactically incorrect
(org.apache.lucene.queryParser.ParseException: Cannot parse
'dateToTest_product_s:[NOW TO NOW 45DAYS]': Encountered "45DAYS" at line 1,
column 33. Was expecting: "]" ... ).
I am running the query on slr admin on internet explorer.

i have defined date field as date in schema.xml