Thanks for the reply.

I ended up fixing it by re-installing Tomcat and starting over. Searches now
appear to work.

Because I'm testing atm however, is it possible to delete the index and
start afresh in future.

At the moment I backed up the original index folder...if I just replace that
with the current one including an index will that work...or will other parts
of Solr recognise it's changed and as a result not work?

What's the best solution for removing the index?

Cheers.