OK I've implemented this before, written academic papers and patents
related to this task.

Here are some hints:
   - you're on the right track with the editorial boosting elevators
   - http://wiki.apache.org/solr/UserTagDesign
   - be darn careful about assuming that one click is enough evidence
to boost a long
     'distance'
   - first page effects in search will skew the learning badly if you
don't compensate.
        95% of users never go past the first page of results, 1% go
past the second
        page.  So perfectly good results on the second page get
permanently locked out
   - consider forgetting what you learn under some condition

In fact this whole area is called 'learning to rank' and is a hot
research topic in IR.
http://web.mit.edu/shivani/www/Ranking-NIPS-05/
http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/um/people/lr4ir-2007/
https://research.microsoft.com/en-us/um/people/lr4ir-2008/