In my schema I have two copies of my numeric fields: one with the original
value (used for display, sort), and one with a rounded version of the
original value (used for range queries).

When I use my rounded field for numeric range queries (e.g.
q=RoundedValue:[100 TO 1000]), I see very consistent results under load. My
hit rate stays the same (at ~23 hits/sec) throughout long running load
tests.

When I use my original field for range queries, I get performance
degradation over time (while under load), rather than consistently worse
throughput. For the first 15 minutes, I see throughput similar to my
throughput with rounded values, of about 23 hits/second. For the next 15
minutes, I'm down to about 20 hits/second. For the next 15 minutes, I'm down
to about 18 hits/second, etc.

I expected worse performance by using the non-rounded original value, but I
didn't expect degradation. I expected to see throughput of X < 23
hits/second, but consistent at all times. I don't understand why my
performance gets worse over time. Any ideas why?

I have ~1000 unique values in my rounded field, and ~ 100,000 unique values
in my un-rounded field.

Thanks.

Wojtek