Thanks Otis, for the quick reply.

I see. I haven't used Payload before. Is it new in 1.3?

So if I have documents that have very different fields, I should
use an external document storage, such as CouchDB, and only
store the indexed fields in Solr? Is this a recommended set up?
How does this compare with using Payload? I'm assuming payload
will be stored on disk only and will not affect indexing and searching
performance.