First off: you can't sort on a field where any doc has more then one token
-- that's why worting on a TextField doesn't work unless you use something
like the KeywordTokenizer.

Second...

: I found out that reason the strings are not getting sorted is because
: there is no way to pass the locale information to StrField, I ended up
: extending StrField to take an additional attribute in schema.xml and
: then had to override the getSortString method where in I create a new
: Locale based on the schema attribute and pass it to the StrField. I put
: this newly created jar file in the lib folder and everything seems to be
: working fine after that. Since, my java knowledge is almost zilch, I was
: wondering is this the right way to solve this problem or is there any
: other recommended approach for this?

I don't remember what the state of Locale-based sorting is, but the
modifications you describe sound right based on what i remember ... would
you be interested in submitting them back as a patch?

        http://wiki.apache.org/solr/HowToContribute

-Hoss