: I'm trying to think of a way to use both relevancy and date sorting in
: the same search. If documents are recent (say published within the last
: 2 years), I want to use all of the boost functions, BQ parameters, and
: normal Lucene scoring functions, but for documents older than two years,
: I don't want any of those scores to apply - only a sort by date.

Yonik recently commited some code that makes it possible to express a
function query string that refers to an arbitrary param name which is
evaluated as a query and the scores for each document are used
as a ValueSource input for the function.  I imagine you could combine
this with a custom function that returns the value from one ValueSource if
it's low enough (the date field) otherwise it returns the value from an
alternate ValueSource (the query)

-Hoss