Grant,

After all my playing about at boot camp, I gave things a rest. It
was not till months later that got back to looking at solr again.
So after 643465 (2008-Apr-01)  the next version I tried was 694377
from (2008-Sep-11). Nothing in between. Yep so 643465 is the latest
version I tried that still performs. Every later revision is slower.

However I need to repeat the tests using 643465, 694377 and whatever
is the latest version. On my macbook I am only seeing a 2x slowdown
of 643465 vis today, where as I had been seeing a 3x slowdown using
my Imac.

Fergus

>Fregus,
>
>Is rev 643465 the absolute latest you tried that still performs?  i.e.
>every revision after is slower?
>
>-Grant
>
>On Mar 30, 2009, at 12:45 PM, Grant Ingersoll wrote:
>
>> Fergus,
>>
>> I think the problem may actually be due to something that was
>> introduced by a change to Solr's StopFilterFactory and the way it
>> loads the stop words set.  See
>>
>> I am in the process of testing it out and will let you know.
>>
>> -Grant
>>
>> On Mar 28, 2009, at 11:00 AM, Grant Ingersoll wrote:
>>
>>> Hey Fergus,
>>>
>>> Finally got a chance to run your scripts, etc. per the thread:
>>> http://www.lucidimagination.com/search/document/5c3de15a4e61095c/upgrade_from_1_2_to_1_3_gives_3x_slowdown_script#8324a98d8840c623
>>>
>>> I can reproduce your slowdown.
>>>
>>> One oddity with rev 643465 is:
>>>
>>> On the old version, there is an exception during startup:
>>> Mar 28, 2009 10:44:31 AM org.apache.solr.common.SolrException log
>>> SEVERE: java.lang.NullPointerException
>>>       at
>>> org
>>> .apache
>>> .solr
>>> .handler
>>> .component.SearchHandler.handleRequestBody(SearchHandler.java:129)
>>>       at
>>> org
>>> .apache
>>> .solr
>>> .handler.RequestHandlerBase.handleRequest(RequestHandlerBase.java:
>>> 125)
>>>       at org.apache.solr.core.SolrCore.execute(SolrCore.java:953)
>>>       at org.apache.solr.core.SolrCore.execute(SolrCore.java:968)
>>>       at
>>> org
>>> .apache
>>> .solr.core.QuerySenderListener.newSearcher(QuerySenderListener.java:
>>> 50)
>>>       at org.apache.solr.core.SolrCore$3.call(SolrCore.java:797)
>>>       at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask
>>> $Sync.innerRun(FutureTask.java:303)
>>>       at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:138)
>>>       at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor
>>> $Worker.runTask(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:885)
>>>       at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor
>>> $Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:907)
>>>       at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:637)
>>>
>>> I see two things in CHANGES.txt that might apply, but I'm not sure:
>>> 1. I think commons-csv was upgraded
>>> 2. The CSV loader stuff was refactored to share common code
>>>
>>> I'm still investigating.
>>>
>>> -Grant

>> Grant Ingersoll
>> http://www.lucidimagination.com/
>>
>> Search the Lucene ecosystem (Lucene/Solr/Nutch/Mahout/Tika/Droids)
>> using Solr/Lucene:
>> http://www.lucidimagination.com/search

Fergus McMenemie               Email:fer...@twig.me.uk
Techmore Ltd                   Phone:(UK) 07721 376021

Unix/Mac/Intranets             Analyst Programmer