Would it not be a good idea to provide Ranking as solr plugin, in which
users can write their custom ranking algorithms and reorder the results
returned by Solr in whichever way they need. It may also help Solr users to
incorporate learning (from search user feedback - such as click logs), and
reorder the results returned by Solr accordingly and not depend purely on
relevance as we do today.

Regards,
CI