As a follow-up note, we solved our problem by moving the indexes to local
store and upgrading to Solr 1.4.  I did a thread dump against our 1.3 Solr
instance and it was spending lots of time blocking on index section loading.
The NIO implementation in 1.4 solved that problem and copying to local store
almost certainly reduced file loading time.

Trying to point multiple Solrs  on multiple boxes at a single shared
directory is almost certainly doomed to failure; the read-only Solrs won't
know when the read/write Solr instance has updated the index.

We are going to try to move our indexes back to shared disk, as our backup
solutions are all tied to the shared disk.  Also, if an individual box
fails, we can bring up a new box and point it at the shared disk.  Are there
any known problems with NIO and NFS that will cause this to fail?  Can
anyone suggest a better solution?

Thanks,

Jon