I am not sure you can return the results in order of frequency, you will have to sort the results yourself. Also, for autoSuggest you will want to add the terms.prefix=input term and terms.lower.incl=false so your example will be:

/autoSuggest? terms = true &indent = true &terms .fl = title &terms .rows = 5 &terms .lower=simp&terms.lower.incl=false&terms.prefix=simp&omitHeader=true

To get results for more multiple words such as "barack obama", you need to set the terms.fl parameter to an untokenized, un-processed field just as you would with a facet. So in your schema.xml, add a new string field, then use a copyfield to copy the value of title into the new field and set terms.fl to the new field you just created after reindexing.

Thanks,

Matt Weber