Hello everyone,
I am trying to write a new QParserPlugin+QParser, one that will work similar
to how DisMax does, but will give me more control over the
FunctionQuery-related part of the query processing (e.g in regards to a
specified bf parameter).

In specific, I want to be able to affect the way the queryNorm (and possibly
other factors) interact with a
pre-computed value I store in a static field (i.e I compute an index-time
score for a document that I wish to use in a bf as a ValueSource, without
being affected by queryNorm or other such extranous considerations.)

While trying this, I notice I run alot into cases where some parts I try to
override/inherit from are private to a java package namespace, and this
makes the whole thing very cumbersome.

Examples for this are the DismaxQParser class which is defined as a local
class inside the DisMaxQParserPlugin.java file (i think this is bad practice
- otherwise, FunctionQParserPlugin/FunctionQParser do have their own
seperate files, so i think this is a good convention to follow generally).
Another case is where i try to inherit from FunctionQParser and end up not
being able to replicate some of the parse() logic, because it uses the
QueryParsing.StrParser class which is a static inner class and so is only
accessible from the solr.search namespace.

In short, many such cases seem to arise and i think this poses a
considerable limitation on
the possibilities of extending solr.
If this resonates with more people here, I'd take this issue up with
solr-dev.

Otherwise, if some of you have some notions about going about what i'm
trying to do differently,
I would be happy to hear.

Thanks,
-Chak