On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 10:42 PM, Bryan Talbot <btal...@aeriagames.com>wrote:

> For replication in 1.4, the wiki at
> http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrReplication says that a node can be both
> the master and a slave:
>
> A node can act as both master and slave. In that case both the master and
> slave configuration lists need to be present inside the ReplicationHandler
> requestHandler in the solrconfig.xml.
>
> What does this mean?  Does the core then poll itself for updates?

No. This type of configuration is meant for "repeaters". Suppose there are
slaves in multiple data-centers (say data center A and B). There is always a
single master (say in A). One of the slaves in B is used as a master for the
other slaves in B. Therefore, this one slave in B is both a master as well
as the slave.

> I'd like to have a single set of configuration files that are shared by
> masters and slaves and avoid duplicating configuration details in multiple
> files (one for master and one for slave) to ease management and failover.
>  Is this possible?

You wouldn't want the master to be a slave. So I guess you'd need to have a
separate file. Also, it needs to be a separate file so that the slave does
not become a master when the solrconfig.xml is replicated.

> When I attempt to setup a multi server master-slave configuration and
> include both master and slave replication configuration options, I into some
> problems.  I'm  running a nightly build from May 7.

Not sure what happened. Is that the url for this solr (meaning same solr url
is master and slave of itself)? If yes, that is not a valid configuration.

--
Regards,
Shalin Shekhar Mangar.