Chris,

As far as I know, AOL is using Solr with lots of cores.  What I don't know is
how they are handling shutting down of idle cores, which is something you'll
need to do if your machine can't handle all cores being open and their data
structures being populated at all times.  I know I had to do that same for
Simpy. :)

 Otis