Hi Noble,
I downloaded the latest nightly build(20th may) and deployed the
nightly-build.war and tried to run the same thing for creating a new core
and the bad news is that it didn't work. I tried  this
<dataDir>/opt/solr/data/${core.name}</dataDir> also
<dataDir>/opt/solr/data/${solr.core.name}</dataDir> but it gave me the same
error saying

HTTP Status 500 - No system property or default value specified for
core.name org.apache.solr.common.SolrException: No system property or
default value specified for core.name at
org.apache.solr.common.util.DOMUtil.substituteProperty(DOMUtil.java:311) at

Can you please help me out. The config files are the old ones that were
there solrconfig.xml and schema.xml withe an entry for data directory as
you've told me earlier. Do I've to pick the new solrconfig files. I'm still
stuck...

Thanks,
KK.