On Wed, May 20, 2009 at 11:18 AM, James X
<hello.nigerian.spamm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Mike, thanks for the quick response:
>
> $ java -version
> java version "1.6.0_11"
> Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 11.0-b16, mixed mode)
>
> I hadn't noticed the 268m trigger for LUCENE-1521 - I'm definitely not
> hitting that yet!

The issue didn't spell this out very well -- I've added a comment.

> The exception always reports 0 length, but the number of of docs varies,
> heavily weighted towards 1 or two docs. Of the last 130 or so exceptions:
>     89 1 docs vs 0 length
>     20 2 docs vs 0 length
>      9 3 docs vs 0 length
>      1 4 docs vs 0 length
>      3 5 docs vs 0 length
>      2 6 docs vs 0 length
>      1 7 docs vs 0 length
>      1 9 docs vs 0 length
>      1 10 docs vs 0 length

Hmm... odd that it's always 0 file length.  What filesystem & IO
devices is the index being written to?

> The only unusual thing I can think of that we're doing with Solr is
> aggressively CREATE-ing and UNLOAD-ing cores. I've not been able to spot a
> pattern between core admin operations and these exceptions, however...

I think from Lucene's standpoint this just means creating & closing
lots of IndexWriters?  (Which should be just fine).

What are your documents like?  Ie, how many and what type of fields?
Are you adding docs from multiple threads?  (Solr would do so, I
believe, so I guess: is your client that's submitting docs to a given
core, doing so with multiple threads?).

Mike