Hi All,
I would like to provide an admin interface (in a different system) that
would update the synonyms.txt file and automatically inform a set of Solr
instances that are being replicated to update their synonyms.txt file too.

This discussion shows a possible solution:
http://www.nabble.com/Refresh-of-synonyms.txt-without-reload-td19629361.html
Namely use the CoreAdmin system to do a RELOAD, rather than forcing tomcat
to reload the webapp.

Here is my setup:
1) I made these instances (both are separate webapps running one core named
"core", this allows me to use the CoreAdmin):
http://localhost:8080/solr_rep_master/core/admin/
http://localhost:8080/solr_rep_slave1/core/admin/
2) the master's config looks like this:
    <lst name="master">
        <str name="replicateAfter">startup</str>
        <str name="replicateAfter">commit</str>
        <str name="snapshot">startup</str>
        <str name="snapshot">commit</str>
        <str name="confFiles">schema.xml,stopwords.txt,synonyms.txt</str>
    </lst>
3) the slave's config looks like this:
    <lst name="slave">
        <str
name="masterUrl">http://localhost:8080/solr_rep_master/core/replication</str>
        <str name="pollInterval">00:00:20</str>
        <str name="compression">internal</str>
    </lst>

First Question:
If i update the "solr_rep_master"'s conf/synonyms.txt file and GET
http://localhost:8080/solr_rep_master/admin/cores?action=RELOAD&core=core,
the config is not replicated to the slave. Isn't a "RELOAD" considered a
startup in regards to the master's replicateAfter setting?

Second Question:
If i force an empty commit, like this:
curl
http://localhost:8080/solr_rep_master/core/update?stream.body=%3Ccommit/%3E
Then the changed synonym.txt config file are replicated to the slave.
Unfortunately now I need to do a core "RELOAD" on both the master and slave
to get them to see the updated synonym.txt file.
Is there any way to circumvent this reload? (this is what was effectively
asked in the nabble link at the top)

Thanks
--Matthias