Hello,
for this you can simply use the nifty date functions supplied by SOLR (given that you have indexed your fields with the solr Date field.

If I understand you correctly, you can achieve what you want with the following union query:

displayStartDate:[* TO NOW] AND displayEndDate:[NOW TO *]

Cheers,
 Aleksander