Phil Hagelberg <p...@hagelb.org> writes:

> My only guess as to what's going wrong here is that deleting the
> coreN/data directory is not a good way to "reset" a core back to its
> initial condition. Maybe there's a bit of state somewhere that's making
> the slave think that it's already up-to-date with this master and so it
> doesn't need to do any replicating? But this is a wild conjecture; I'd
> appreciate any tips on where to look for what's going wrong.

OK, so I inserted some more documents into the master, and now
replication works. I get the feeling it may be due to this line in the
master's solrconfig.xml:

  <str name="replicateAfter">commit</str>

Now this is confusing since it seems that the timing of replication is
not up to the master, it's up to the slave. The slave's config has
settings for the interval at which to replicate, and you POST to the
slave to force a replication. So why is there a setting on the master to
control when replication happens?

My only interpretation from the config files is the master has some sort
of "you may not replicate from me unless" conditions. This seems pretty
undesirable since you may have a slave that needs to get replicated from
the master immediately; it shouldn't have to wait for a commit on the
master. Am I misunderstanding what's going on here? It certainly isn't
clear from the documents on the wiki, so I'm kind of grasping in the
dark. Perhaps I'm missing something.

thanks,
Phil Hagelberg
http://technomancy.us