my brain was switched off. I'm using SOLRJ, which means I'll need to specify multiple :

addMultipleFields(solrDoc, "vector", "vectorvalue", 1.0f);

for each value to be added to the multiValuedField.

Then, with luck, the simple wildcard query will be executed over each individual value when looking for matches, meaning the simple query syntax can made adequate to do what's needed.

Many thanks Uwe.