On Fri, Jul 31, 2009 at 5:06 PM, Stephen Duncan
Jr<stephen.dun...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a couple more questions on the FieldValueCache.  I see that the
> number of items in the cache is basically the number of multi-valued fields
> facets have been requested for.  What does each entry in the cache actually
> contain?  How does it's size grow as the number of total documents
> increases?

It's basically an array of int[maxDoc] that contain the list of
delta-coded vint values or optionally point out to shared byte arrays
if the list of values don't fit in an int.  See the javadoc for
UnInvertedField for more details.

> Ok, so that was the curiosity question.  More critical:
>
> When we first ask for facets for multi-valued fields, it can take up to 25
> seconds to get the response, although after that it's very fast (1.5 seconds
> or less even for a lot of different facets) since the FieldValueCache has
> been populated.  Obviously, we'd like to get the FieldValueCache populated,
> hopefully without an end-user being the one to wait 25 seconds.  I think
> this is what the autowarming settings are about, but I'm not sure how to
> warm the cache with the specific fields we expect facets to be requested
> for.  Any pointers?

Use static warming queries.  autowarming doesn't hit the fieldValueCache.

-Yonik
http://www.lucidimagination.com