Hi,

Solr is fine out of RAM if you don't change it (build and then let it cache
what it needs). The RAM is needed when you constantly pepper it with updates
and commits. If you can have the logs update certain shards and then merge
those indexes periodically to machines you can leave alone - this might be a
way to use fewer machines and still get acceptable performance.

If you were going to be happy with Hadoop, then you probably are happy with
queries that take longer than a few seconds to complete. You might be happy
enough just spreading it across a few machines and write a script to merge
indexes when the update machines run out of RAM.

You will see a performance change when you run out of RAM but you won't know
until you test it to see how bad it is. For me, going from 8GB index to 16GB
index was about 10 times slower on a machine with 8GB RAM (around 100ms to
just over a second query time).

Regards,
Ian Connor
http://pubget.com