> Do you think it's possible to return (in the nested entity) rows
> independent of the unique id, and let the processor decide when a document
> is complete?

I don't think so.

In my case, I had 9 (JDBC) entities for each document. Most of these
entities returned a single column and limited number rows for each document.
I observed a significant improvement in performance by using an aggregation
query in my parent query. e.g. in MySQL, I used group_concat() function to
aggregate all the values (separated using some delimiter) into a single
column of the parent query's resultset. I would then use a RegexTransformer
to split this data on the previously used delimiter to populate in a
multi-valued field.
I actually got rid of 5 entities out of 9 in my data-config. It reduced the
import time significantly too.

Cheers
Avlesh