: Use decimal figure less than 1, e.g. 0.5, to express less importance.

but that's stil la positive boost ... it still increases the scores of
documents that match.

the only way to "negative boost" is to "positively boost" the inverse...

        (*:* -field1:value_to_penalize)^10

: > I am looking for a way to assign negative boost to a term in Solr query.
: > Our use scenario is that we want to boost matching documents that are
: > updated recently and penalize those that have not been updated for a long
: > time.  There are other terms in the query that would affect the scores as
: > well.  For example we construct a query similar to this:
: >
: > *:* field1:value1^2  field2:value2^2 lastUpdateTime:[NOW/DAY-90DAYS TO *]^5
: > lastUpdateTime:[* TO NOW/DAY-365DAYS]^-3
: >
: > I notice it's not possible to simply use a negative boosting factor in the
: > query.  Is there any way to achieve such result?
: >
: > Regards,
: > Shi Quan He
: >