Our current search is faceting on a single integer field. The field is
multi-valued.

facet=true
facet.mincount=1
facet.limit=-1
facet.field=fieldA

The number of unique values in our index for fieldA is around 8000, and a
typical query can return about 500 counts. A typical single document can
have anywhere from 5 to 20 values for fieldA. The performance we are getting
for this implementation is pretty acceptable (under 2 seconds).

Now, we are trying to add in a 2nd facet, also an integer and also
multi-valued.

facet=true
facet.mincount=1
facet.limit=-1
facet.field=fieldA
facet.field=fieldB

The number of unique values in our index for fieldB is around 100k, but a
typical query still only returns about 400 counts. However, a single
document will only have 5 or 6 values for fieldB. The performance of our
queries dropped significantly (about 15-20 seconds per query!).

I'm unable to figure out why there is such a significant drop in performance
here. Is it the fact that there are more than 10x more possible unique
values for fieldB? Hopefully I have provided enough info above, but do any
of these strike you as a big contributing factor to the drop in performance?

We are currently using Solr 1.3 and upgrading to 1.4 will not be an option
until it is finalized.

Thanks for the help.