Thanks Hoss and Yonik.

Hoss, you had a particluarly pertinent passage:
> ... because the normal Lucene QueryParser uses whitespace ...
> and breaks up the input on the whitespace boundaries
> before it ever passes those chunks ... to the analyzers

This is EXACTLY what the issue is.  At first I thought it was the result of
using dismax, but from what you said, I'm guessing it affects all queries.
And does somebody have a "worked" example of engineering around it.

Yonik,

I was surprised by your IBM comments, because based on what they had
presented at the meetup, I also thought it would be more "granular".  Have
you chatted with them to confirm?

--
Mark Bennett / New Idea Engineering, Inc. / mbenn...@ideaeng.com
Direct: 408-733-0387 / Main: 866-IDEA-ENG / Cell: 408-829-6513