Jason,
sounds like a very promising change to me - so much that I would gladly work
toward creating a patch myself.
Are there any specific points in the code u could point me to if I wanna
look at how to start off implementing it?
Lucene/Solr Classes involved etc? i'll start looking myself anyhow but any
tips would be helpful.. :)

Thanks,
-Chak