From: Fuad Efendi [mailto:f...@efendi.ca]
Sent: Wednesday, August 26, 2009 11:56 AM
To: solr-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: RE: SolrJ and Solr web simultaneously?

Do you have firewall between DB and possible SOLR-Master instance? Do you
have firewall between Client application and DB? Such configuration is
strange... by default firewalls allow access to port 80, try to set port 80
for SOLR-Tomcat and/or configure AJP mapping for front-end HTTPD which you
might have; btw  Apache HTTPD with SOLR supports HTTP caching for
SOLR-slaves...

1. SolrJ does not provide multithreading, but instance of
CommonsHttpSolrServer is thread-safe. Developers need to implement
multithreaded application.
2. SolrJ does not use JDBC; developers need to implement...

It requires some Java coding, it is not out-of-the-box Document Import
Handler.

Suppose you have 2 quad-cores, why use single-threaded if we can use
8-threaded... or why wait 5 seconds responce from SOLR if we can use
additional 32 threads doing job with DB at the same time... and why to share
I/O between SOLR and DB?

Diversify, lower risks, having SOLR and DB on same box is extremely
unsafe...

-Fuad