Thank you Birger for the pointer to HBase.

HBase sounds interesting. We will consider this for -  "people you may
know".

We are trying to address a different problem of searching from a well
defined list of contacts.
A huge ORed query sounds good at this point as a solution.

Thanks and regards
Rajan Chandi