Nice one ;) Its not technically a case where optimize requires > 2x
though in case the user asking gets confused. Its a case unrelated to
optimize that can grow your index. Then you need < 2x for the optimize,
since you won't copy the deletes.

It also requires that you jump hoops to delete everything. If you delete
everything with *:*, that is smart enough not to just do a delete on
every document - it just creates a new index, allowing the removal of
the old very efficiently.

Def agree on the more disk space.

--
- Mark