On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 3:48 PM, Katz, Dan <dan.k...@fepoc.com> wrote:
> I'm tasked with designing a failover architecture for our new Solr
> server. I've read the Replication section in the docs
> (http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrReplication) and I need some
> clarification/insight. My questions:
>
> 1.      Is there such a thing as "master/master" replication?

Yes, a server can be both a master and a slave.

> 2.      If we have one master and one slave server, and the master goes
> down, does the slave automatically become the master?

No.  Solr's fault tolerance is currently limited to the search-side of
things (via load balancing across replicas).

> What's the process
> for brining the server back up and getting the two back in sync? Is it a
> manual process always?

Yes, it currently is.  It will be automatic in the future, but that
won't help you now :-)

> 3.      We're running Solr inside Tomcat on Windows currently. Any
> suggestions for a load balancer that will automatically switch to the
> alternate server if one goes down?

There is a new load balancing client for Java in Solr 1.4
http://lucene.apache.org/solr/api/org/apache/solr/client/solrj/impl/LBHttpSolrServer.html

Perhaps others have recommendations for generic HTTP load balancers.

-Yonik
http://www.lucidimagination.com