This is an issue we experienced a while back.  We once again tried to load a
custom class as a plugin jar from the lib directory and began experiencing
severe memory problems again.  The code in our jar wasn't being used at
all...the class was only referenced in the schema.  I find it strange that
no one else has experienced this, but we're not doing anything particularly
complex, which is still leading me to believe that there is something
strange going on with Solr's class loading for this lib directory.  Perhaps
it is something specific with our environment (specs below)?

java version "1.6.0_05"
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 10.0-b19, mixed mode)

Tomcat 6.0.16

Linux 2.6.9-35.ELsmp #1 SMP Thu Jun 1 14:31:29 PDT 2006 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64
GNU/Linux

Max heap set to 1GB.

With the jars in the plugin directory, RAM usage increases by 1.5 - 2GB,
increasing at about 200MB/hr.