By readers, I meant your searchers. Perhaps you were shutting
down your servers?

The warming isn't to pre-load authors, it's to pre-populate, particularly,
sort fields. Which are then kept in caches. There is considerable
overhead in loading the sort field the first time you sort by it. So,
my question was really based on the chance that "over the
weekend" corresponded to "the first queries after the server
restarted", or "the first query after the underlying index searchers
were (re)opened.

The real question comes down to whether the same form of query
(i.e. searching for different values on the same fields with the
same kind of sort) is slow all the time or just when things start up.

How fine is the resolution for your dates? Assuming that the sorting
is the issue, if you are storing dates in the millisecond range, that's
probably 20M dates that have to be loaded to sort. You might
want to think about a coarser resolution  if this has any relevance.

HTH
Erick