It is recommended [1] to use synonyms at index time only for various reasons
especially with multi-word synonyms.

[1]http://wiki.apache.org/solr/AnalyzersTokenizersTokenFilters#solr.SynonymFilterFactory

only at index time use expand=true ingoreCase=true with synonym.txt :

micheal, michael

OR:

micheal jackson, michael jackson

Note it it is important to what filters you have before synonym filter.
Bu sure that you restart tomcat and re-index.

Query Micheal Jackson (not phrase search) should return the results
for Michael Jackson.

Hope this helps.