: > FWIW: I was able to reproduce this using the example setup (i picked a
: > doc id at random) �suspecting it was a bug in docFreq
:
: Probably just a null being passed in the text part of the term.
: I bet Luke expects all field values to be strings, but some are binary.

I'm not sure i follow you ... i think you saying that naive assumptions in
the LukeRequestHandler could result in it asking for the docFreq of a term
that has a null string value because some field types are binary, except
that...

 1) 1.3 didn't have this problem
 2) LukeRequestHandler.getDocumentFieldsInfo didn't change from 1.3 to 1.4

I tied to reproduce this in 1.4 using an index/configs created with 1.3,
but i got a *different* NPE when loading this url...

   http://localhost:8983/solr/admin/luke?id=SP2514N

SEVERE: java.lang.NullPointerException
        at
org.apache.solr.util.NumberUtils.SortableStr2int(NumberUtils.java:127)
        at
org.apache.solr.util.NumberUtils.SortableStr2float(NumberUtils.java:83)
        at
org.apache.solr.util.NumberUtils.SortableStr2floatStr(NumberUtils.java:89)
        at
org.apache.solr.schema.SortableFloatField.indexedToReadable(SortableFloatField.java:62)
        at
org.apache.solr.schema.SortableFloatField.toExternal(SortableFloatField.java:53)
        at
org.apache.solr.handler.admin.LukeRequestHandler.getDocumentFieldsInfo(LukeRequestHandler.java:245)

...all three of these stack traces seem to suggest that some imple of
Fieldable.stringValue in 2.9 is returning null in cases where it returned
*something* else in the 2.4-dev jar used by Solr 1.3.

That seems like it could have other impacts besides LukeRequestHandler.

-Hoss