: Basically, search entries are keyed to other documents.  We have finite
: storage,
: so we purge old documents.  My understanding was that deleted documents
: still
: take space until an optimize is done.  Therefore, if I don't optimize, the
: size on disk will grow without bound.
:
: Am I mistaken?  If I don't ever have to optimize, it would make my life
: easier.

deletions are purged as segments get merged.  if you want to force
deleted documents to be purged, the only way to do that at the
moment is to optimize (which merges all segments).  but if you are
continually deleteing/adding documents, the deletions will eventaully get
purged even if you never optimize.

-Hoss